Grab the RSS feed

iPhone Firmware Update Makes Hacked iPhones Inoperable


iPhone Firmware Update Makes Hacked iPhones Inoperable - So Why is Apple Doing This?

The move to protect the phones from third party applications has been officially attributed to the desire to protect the network that iPhones run on. While that is a valid concern, this change may have more to do with the impending AppStore that will come as part of the MobileMe feature. This feature will be released on next generation iPhones and be available as an update to current iPhone users. The Store will allow users to buy approved applications in order to increase the functionality of the phone and get new features.

These applications could provide a boost to Apple's revenue from the iPhone, and free third party applications would cut a major dent into those profits. Dr Miller also commented on this, expressing a view common to iPhone users: "It seems to me if you buy the hardware from the company, it should be yours to do with and modify as you see fit. Just as no one tells me what color to paint my bedroom, or whether I can knock down a wall in my house, I don't think Apple or any other company should tell me what software I can or cannot load on the hardware I purchase." While Dr. Miller has no current plans to search for vulnerabilities in the new iPhone, citing the work on his upcoming book, "The Mac Hackers Handbook," no doubt other will be looking.





1 comments:

  • Anonymous said...

    really good article must read

  •